Friday, December 30, 2011

Standing Coat Rack


This coat rack is made of cedar from Home Depot. I had to take my time to select a straight 4x4 for the long part. The rest was made from scrap left over from my outdoor patio table and benches.

The business end of the coat rack was fun. I got to use all my power tools to work it out. I cut the pyramid shape on the top using the power miter saw, the arms were cut to shape with the bandsaw then routed flush to a template with the router table. I used mortise and tenon joinery to attach the arms to the post. This involved the router table, hand held router, and chisel to complete.

The legs were cut with the power miter and simply glued onto the post. This part was pretty easy, but I completely smashed my left index with my mallet while I was trying to align the legs! Yeah, that really hurt – and no guitar for a few weeks. :-P

We haven't chosen a finish for this piece, yet. I'm thinking a nice walnut stain/finish would blend nicely with the exposed wood in the house. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment